First Learning Center, A Growing Place for 3 - 5 Year Olds
First Learning Center, a ministry of First Lutheran Church, offers a nurturing Christian environment that supports young children as they grow and learn. The Center is committed to providing developmentally appropriate early childhood education, supporting children’s natural curiosity through a rich combination of play, planned activities, and interactions with peers and adults.
Located at First Lutheran Church, 1551 South 70th Street, First Learning Center has served 3-5 year olds for over 40 years. Morning sessions are available through the school year: Tuesday and Thursday for 3-4 year olds, Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 4-5 year olds. A 5 day session is available on a limited basis for students planning to attend Kindergarten the following school year.
All students of First Learning Center and their families are invited and encouraged to participate in any and all the activities of First Lutheran Church.
- Focusing on the whole child: Emotional, social, itellectual, physical and spiritual growth are nurtured. The well being of children is our highest priority.
- Learning by doing: Children engage in hands-on experiences, including art, music, dance, drama, storytelling, exploring nature, early literacy, math and science. All senses are incorporated.
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each child: Childhood is a journey, not a race. Children develop at different rates and in different ways. Experiences and activities are geared for 3-5 year olds' varying stages of development.
- Developing positive relationships and interpersonal skills: Through experiences and daily work and play with others, children learn about cooperation, sharing, kindness, empathy toward others, ways of resolving differences peacefully. Good manners and responsibility are taught and encouraged.
- Partnering: First Learning Center values its partnerships with families and with the congregation.
- Providing the foundation for a life-long love of learning!
Guiding Principles for Early Childhood Education
The Nebraska Early Learning Guidelines for Ages 3 to 5, published by the Nebraska Department of Education and the Nebraska Health & Human Services System, provide a solid foundation for First Learning Center's program. Guiding Principles are:
1. Children are active learners.
2. Each child learns in unique ways.
3. Learning is most meaningul when it is integrated across all areas of development.
4. Learning is continuous and sequential.
5. Development and learning are rooted in culture and supported by the family.